The Christian Union Church of Portsmouth, RI purchased this horse drawn hearse in 1871 and used it for many years.  It was made in Newport, RI by the furniture maker, Langley and Bennett.  When the church dissolved in the 1930s the hearse was moved to the Breakers Stables in Newport.  In 1970 there was a fire at the stables and in 1974 the Little Compton Historical Society provided storage for the hearse in the basement of their barn.  In 2009 the hearse was moved to the Portsmouth Historical Society which is at the Church’s original location.

1871 horse drawn hearse returns to the Union Church.

Advertisements