Cook Ferry

The Cook family began to ferry their animals to Fogland to graze during the day.

Fogland Ferry (or Cooks Ferry) began when Thomas Cook bought grazing rights to Fogland across the river in what is now Tiverton. Cook lands were located in the Glen area. Thomas Cook’s home was where the Glen Manor House is today. Later on the family seems to have established a public ferry. In 1762 Joseph Cook sold 31 acres of land with wharves, buildings and ferry rights to Christopher Cadman. When he died in 1787, the Cadman Ferry was left to Gideon Cadman, Christopher’s son.

Advertisements